Congratulations on making the decision to buy life insurance! Unlike any other financial product, buying life insurance will directly impact your family’s financial security if the unimaginable were to happen.
At Legal & General America (LGA), we offer two different ways to buy life insurance. Applicants can purchase coverage through one of our licensed agents or get a free quote and buy directly online. Understanding the differences between these options will help you choose the path that makes the most sense for your needs so you can get protection as soon as possible.
Let's take a look at what each of these options means:
1. Buy life insurance through an agent
A licensed life insurance agent or financial professional can provide expert guidance and resources, helping you navigate any issues that may arise along the way. There are two main types of insurance agents: captive agents and independent agents.
A captive agent sells life insurance for a particular insurance company, while an independent agent works for an agency and presents clients with insurance products from multiple companies. A captive agent has vast expertise regarding the company they represent, and can speak in-depth about its offerings.
An independent insurance agent works with many providers and can compare policy options from the variety of companies available in their network. Some insurance providers only sell through specifically licensed agents and yours might not represent them. In this case, you may need to switch agents or buy directly from the company you want insurance from.
We have a team of licensed in-house agents who offer thoughtful and personalized recommendations, making sure that your coverage matches your needs, such as protection for a new baby or a recent home purchase. We also have a network of more than 150,000 independent agents around the country who offer both our term and permanent life insurance products.
For help with buying life insurance through one of our agents give us a call at 888-984-3393 or use our online locator to find a licensed independent agent near you.
If you’re looking for more details on the process you’ll go through to get life insurance, check out our guide on how to buy life insurance: from application to approval.
2. Buy life insurance online
If you want to speed up the purchasing process, you may be able to buy insurance online directly from your provider. If you choose this route, you’re in control of making the choices for your family’s financial protection, but will still have the option to work directly with an expert if you need help at any point.
Buying life insurance online is a convenient method. At LGA, we want the process to be fast and easy. That is why our entire process can be done in just a few short steps, and you can get protection when it fits your schedule.
Here is how our online life insurance purchasing process works:
- Answer a few questions about yourself and instantly receive a personalized quick quote.
- If you’re happy with your initial price, start the application. You can apply directly online from anywhere. Our online application takes less than 15 minutes to complete. If you need to take a break during the process, no problem – you can save your progress and come back later. We’ll send you an email (or text) with reminders until your application is submitted.
- If you qualify for no-exam underwriting, you could receive coverage instantly. If you don’t qualify for instant coverage, you may be required to share your health records or get a medical exam that lasts no longer than 30 minutes and can often be done from your home, at our expense.
- Once we receive more medical information, we will be able to determine your final policy price.
- You’ll receive your final offer and can sign and accept electronically, And that’s it! You’ll be covered as soon as your pay your first premium.