Corporate Social Responsibility
Part of something bigger than ourselves.
At Legal & General America, corporate social responsibility is a living and breathing part of who we are and how we operate, not simply a box we check. We are committed to making our community a great place to work and live.
We’re making good on our promise to help create a sustainable future for our community and our customers in some specific ways:
- Annual Charitable Giving Campaign: Each year our employees set out to raise money for local nonprofits by holding various fundraisers while teaming up with us for in-house events that benefit select
sponsored charities. Between our employees’ efforts and company match, we raised over $900,000 in 2020 for non-profit organizations. Past sponsored charities include Boys & Girls Club of Frederick
County, Student Homelessness Initiative Partnership (SHIP) of Frederick County, America’s VetDogs, Second Chances Garage, ThanksUSA and Heartly House.
- Community Awards: Employees who give back through fundraisers, charity events or by inspiring young people and fostering community spirit don’t go unnoticed. Spearheaded by Chairman Sir John Kingman, employees across all Legal & General businesses nominate one another for key achievements in volunteerism each year. Winners are celebrated during an annual luncheon and awards ceremony.
- National Association of Independent Life Brokerage Agencies (NAILBA) Charitable Foundation: As a charter member of the NAILBA Charitable Foundation which supports local charities throughout the United States, we have made donations to the foundation over the past several years. In 2020, we donated $25,000.
- Life Happens: We have sponsored a Life Lessons scholarship of $10,000 for each of the past several years, which recognizes students for their perseverance following the loss of a parent or guardian with little or no life insurance coverage.
Executive Director of Boys & Girls Club of Frederick County
At Legal & General America, we value our people and our planet. Our team is committed to reducing our impact on the environment, and it shows. Our efforts have been recognized and rewarded for several years with the EPA’s Energy Star Certification award (2013-2020, and the Indoor Environmental Quality Certification (2014-2020).
We are proud to share:
- We use 35% less energy than similar-sized companies.
- We generate 35% fewer greenhouse emissions than similar buildings across the nation.
- Our Frederick, MD headquarters is certified as a Silver LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) interiors building.
To learn more:
In 2020, our conservation efforts saved...187,688 gallons of water
10,189 gallons of oil
80 cubic yards of landfill space
107,250 kilowatts of energy